[Dixielandjazz] That's A Plenty - Chicken Dance

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 2 09:10:37 PDT 2007

David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote (polite snip)

> But for an audience that KNOWS and maybe even ENJOYS the Chicken
> Dance (like at an Oktoberfest sot of thing) - they will not accept a
> substitute! There is that certain non-subtle rhythm that makes that
> dance work. Just like the Hokey Pokey, Bunny Hop and a few other
> novelty dances that you might get asked to do on some odd gig - there
> just is no way you can fool 'em with "That's A Plenty" or even
> "Turkey in the Straw."

There may be the odd audience here and there that will accept no substitute,
however I have yet to run into one and so I respectfully disagree. The kids,
teachers, and parents we just played for a few days ago all knew the music
to the  Chicken Dance quite well. And they certainly enjoy the Chicken Dance
to the original music. It is part of their music curriculum in this school.
We did not fool them, we just expanded their Chicken Dance repertoire. VERY
EASY to do, especially if you preface it with an announcement that the
Chicken Dance can be done to the kind of music the band is playing.

Like someone once said, "If you do not attempt the absurd, you will not
achieve the impossible." <grin>

And you will never know who will accept what until you attempt the absurd.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone