[Dixielandjazz] Playing along

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Oct 2 08:49:18 PDT 2007

I've been away for a week.  Forgot to log off of DJML, and just deleted
about 100 emails about a chicken!  I decided not to delve into that
subject!!

However, a statement I made ages ago about playing along with LP's (in my
early days) was picked up by Larry:

>The biggest problem with records is copying.

Not the way I did it.  I played along with the bass or tuba (on the
trombone)...duu, duu, da-duda-du-du-du...etc., until I could hear the
changes coming. I did that for months. Then, I mentally blocked out the
trombonist & played over the familiar bass lines, putting in my own licks.
Those licks were influenced by the guy on the LP, but were not copied.

This was all in my regular daily practice time, and didn't require any more
drive or dedication than what normal practicing does...and, in fact, was a
heck of a lot more fun.
I recommend it to anyone wanting to learn.

Jim