[Dixielandjazz] Chicken Dance

Jhopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Mon Oct 1 06:43:49 PDT 2007

Yes, we play the "Chicken Dance" a couple of times a year when asked. We recently played the Bunny Hop for the first time in about 30 years. We also get asked to play Waltz Across Texas....which I never heard of when I grew up in Texas but it is popular in Arizona.

The more interesting requests are when they ask for the "Shag" or the Carolina Shag as opposed to the Collegiate Shag. They will also ask for a West Coast Swing tune or a Balboa tune. These are dances as you guys know but I find it odd that the dancers often ask for a tune this way rather than asking for a specific song. There are many good dixieland/swing tunes that will satisfy these requests. Lindy Hoppers ask for specific songs....go figure. But then I realized that folks ask for a waltz or a Cha Cha without naming the song so it does make sense.

Last Friday we played a 50th Wedding Anniversary and the crowd loved the band (and the swing dance team we included)....when a little 8 year old asked for ShaBoom (sp?)  and we played it, the place went crazy. These 7 and 8 year olds knew the words and sang along....amazing.

Joe Hopkins...Vice-President
AZ Classic Jazz Society
52nd Street Jazz Band
480-396-6798/602-810-5888