[Dixielandjazz] The divine sound of silence

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Mon Nov 26 13:16:06 PST 2007

There's really no such thing as absolute silence. There's always present a
sound that we can't hear. Our galaxy (the Milky Way)resonates at (if I
remember right) 13·6 Hz.
I think what we're referring to is an absence of music, or maybe even
human-generated sound.
If my experience is anything to go by, it's impossible to get musicians to
stay silent in between playing music - they chatter, they practice little
bits they ought to have practiced elsewhere, they make snide remarks usually
about absent members of the orchestra who ought to have been present, etc.
Where can one find silence? Deep underground mines and caves might be the
answer, but I'd guess there are resonant frequencies there as well.
So I guess the answer is that the silence that e.g. John Cage wrote is
actually a single sustained note (or chord) that we humans cannot hear held
for an appreciable length of time, e.g. four minutes and thirty-three
seconds.

Did I hear a silent "what a load of old codswallop!"

Nothing compares with a silent passage on the washboard.

Bob Smith

--
Jeg bruker gratisversjonen av SPAMfighter for privatbrukere.
 Den har fjernet 652 søppelpostmeldinger til nå.