[Dixielandjazz] The divine sound of silence

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 14:59:53 PST 2007

I think when we get around to dealing with creativity and the arts in space,
we may find silence more significant.

They have created "Silent rooms" where there is no sound and found that not
only does the universe have a created pitch, the human body is quite noisy
with the heart beating, the lungs working, the blood circulating etc.

Cage had a mind of his own (or a stash of his own) and did rather well with
his off-beat ideas.  In one of his books, he talks about looking at a modern
sculpture.  You not only see the sculpture itself (the object), you see the
space it is in and the view though or around openings in it, etc. I
understood that a little better (I think.)  In the same sense, if we accept
music as organized sound occurring in time, then part of the performance is
also the lack of organized sound occurring in time-----silence.  Rests and
even Tacit is/are significant in music. Cage began to extend this idea and
focus on it.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated (non?) listener.