[Dixielandjazz] The divine sound of silence

Bill Allen ballen at deltapathology.com
Mon Nov 26 10:32:07 PST 2007

John Cage was very interested in silence. He wrote some pieces to be
performed with an orchestra (in tuxes/gowns) that was nothing but silence.
His question was, "Is there a difference in silence when it's performed by
musicians or just nothing on the recording?" And what would be the
difference in silence when performed by a soloist, a small group, or a huge
orchestra?

What do YOU think?

Also, i was at college recital where a pianist performed one of John Cage's
silent pieces on piano. He sat there with the piano lid open for the
prescribed amount of time. After a while, the student audience got bored and
began making noise. Did their participation ruin the performance, or would
it be considered a part of the performance? What do you think?

bill allen