[Dixielandjazz] [Dixieland] fake books

Andrew R. Cooper andy_cooper at chatter.com
Mon Nov 19 13:32:52 PST 2007

I have seen signs online that there is a big 600+ page Dixieland book
that has been uploaded to a server for the "Firehouse Five Plus Two"
Dixieland fake book. It was saved in a .pdf format, which would be
ideal for most folks. I cannot locate this document.

Does anyone have the low-down on this Firehouse Five Plus Two Dixieland
Fake book?

I think that David Littlefield most likely took this Firehouse Five
book and, starting from there, made his VAST improvements on it for his
multi-volume set of trad, books  he markets. I am quite impressed with
Mr. Littlefield's excellent on vintage jazz. I agree that they are
quite legible, but must say that they do have a few bloopers (like all
fake books do.) Well worth an investment for any serious dixieland
player, to be sure. He also has researched and has made available the
lyrics to hundreds of these tunes as well as his legible lead sheets.

Still, I'd like to see where he may have started with these Firehouse
Five books. At one time, I think they were available online, but I
can't find them now.

===== From the desk of Andrew R. Cooper =====

On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com