[Dixielandjazz] Prima's Drummers -- Pete Fountain

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Nov 6 08:47:44 PST 2007

Pete's pianist referred to below was Merle Koch pronounced Cook.

After leaving Fountain, he moved to Virginia City NV and opened a night club
named Michele's Silver Stope.  Michele was his wife's name.  She also had a
gift shop next door.

Merle was a wonderful player and great guy.

He used to have jam sessions at his club every Sunday.  Back then, lots of
the Jazz guys would be playing the clubs in Reno and State line and they
would go over to Virginia City on Sundays.

Guys such as Bob havens when the Welk show was in town, John Best, Eddie
miller, Sam Donahue (had the orchestra at the Nugget in Sparks), etc.

The drummer Smoky Stover worked with Merle there for quite a while.

There were some nice recordings made at the club.

--Bob Ringwald