[Dixielandjazz] Live recording vs. studio

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:36:48 PDT 2007

Carry it further, Rob: Your model gets her hair and makeup done and
wears a dress she couldn't afford to buy herself. The photographer
uses lots of big soft lighting and a special camera. The art director
sends it off for *extensive* photoshopping. What ends up on the
magazine cover doesn't look much like the girl. But it sells a lot of
stuff, fersure!

That, in a nutshell, is the modern recording process. It is possible
to create things that cannot exist in nature. It's possible to fool
you into accepting what you hear as being accurate. But as you say, a
recording will always be a different thing than a performance.

-- Paul Edgerton