[Dixielandjazz] Live recording vs. studio

Rob Wright rwright at siatucson.com
Fri Nov 2 13:00:21 PDT 2007

Hi All,

It seems to me that comparing live performance recordings to studio
recordings is apples to oranges.  There are so many logistical sound
problems with live recordings that it is next to impossible to get studio
quality.  Because of that I almost always prefer a studio production.  I
think the end justifies the means.  Another thing: studio recordings are
made to listen to and enjoy over and over so small mistakes are amplified by
that nature alone.  I have always thought the mark of a great band is one
that can produce something live very close to what they recorded.  Very
often musicians are performing artists or recording artists.  Not everyone
is great at both.

Regarding how much fixing should be allowed I leave that up to the ego of
the artist.  Think of it this way, should a cover model publish average
photos.  Should they be allowed to use makeup and lights or would everyone
be better off if we see them blemishes and all?  How many changes can a
painter make?  How many edits a writer? My two cents.  Rob