[Dixielandjazz] Goldenrod picture and memories...

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Nov 1 09:21:09 PDT 2007

It's a sadness that comes over anyone who values the great American
traditions.  It's more than just jazz or nostalgia over the now defunct
festivals.  It's the loss of not having something that was a part of
history.  It's also a loss of personal history and the loss of a personal
friend to time.

You would think that St. Louis or some other city would spend the money to
keep it afloat as a museum if nothing else.  Tourists actually do come to
cities to see such things.  The Goldenrod is a valuable asset to the city
but I guess that  few in power see it that way.  In a way I can see their
point of view with the schools tanking and so many essential services that
need funding with a very reluctant tax base then what's a broken down old
barge compared to that.  I understand why a private individual might not be
able to make a go of it but this is really a bigger issue than an individual
owner and what he might do.

It would take thousands of people protesting the loss at city hall before
anything would be done and that just isn't going to happen.  The only other
hope would be for some very wealthy person buy it which again is very
unlikely.

So much for the value in being designated a national landmark.
Larry
St. Louis