[Dixielandjazz] "Patching" recordings

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Thu Nov 1 09:02:59 PDT 2007

Larry's story  reminds me of a studio afternoon I spent with an engineer who had the latest, at that time, computer software.

I had recorded  four telephone conversations with clients who had used my band, and, with their permission I wanted to put their
comments on my demo tapes.  However there was a lot of misc. conversation that needed to be cut out so that just the pertinent comments
would be brief and to the point.

We cut out the immaterial talk and pasted the rest together, being cognizant of  voice modulations and making modulation matches, high
& low, for a proper fit.  The software showed the voice as a "earthquake jiggle" and it was possible to make matches of different
sections of the original recordings so that there was a smooth connect from place to place.

When finished, I was shocked at how perfect the "cut & paste" worked.  You could not tell that what was heard was a conversation
consisting of voice "pieces" without any breaks.

I realized that it would be possible to alter just about any recorded voice conversation and present it as an original, and by
selection of pieces,  change the meaning of the conversation to just about anything you could want.  You could "prove" just about
anything your devious mind could desire.  Shutter !!!!   Conclusion:  recorded voices should never be used in a court of law.

Russ Guarino

However