[Dixielandjazz] Perfect Records

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Nov 1 08:51:52 PDT 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:

(snip)
>If better music is available via
>computer, why would anyone want to listen to human musicians? Or perhaps
>more to the point, why would anyone want to book human musicians?
(snip)

baglady4 at juno.com answered:

(snip)
>******To get those wonderful hugs during the breaks, and we all know..IMO
>you
>guys react to the audience which produces a superior sound than anything in
>recording studio.
(snip)

Steve Barbone wrote

(snip)
I am somewhat abashed that peer musicians either do not agree, or have not
experienced the Zen of what you say.  Perhaps they need to get out more
also.
(snip)

Steve, I presume that you are referring to the current thread of editing
recordings?

If so, no one who has participated in the current discussion has indicated
that a recorded session in a studio is musically better than a live
performance onstage.  That is certainly not what I have said and I don't
believe that Kash said it either.

So, I don't think that any of us should "Get out more."

What we are saying, and apparently you have missed the point, is that with a
little editing, in a studio or live performance, the recording can be
improved.

Perhaps it might not even involve fixing a note.  It just may be balancing
the band better, adding reverb or doing something to get rid of some of the
room echo.

There are many things that can be done to a recording to make it for better
listening.

And, yes, fixing a note can be one of them.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

"If you think health care is expensive now,
wait until you see what it costs when it's free"!
--P.J. O'Rourke