[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan's tuning

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Thu May 31 10:14:16 PDT 2007

Hi Steve and list mates,
Having also played violin at that age (classical not jazz), I can only speak
for myself when I point out that the lower strings (G and D) are a bit
harder to reach, and you need to raise your elbow up to get the right fit of
your hand on the strings. To me, it sounded like Jonathan was only playing
flat on these lower strings, while on the higher A and E strings, he was
fine. In fact, he sounds great on those really challenging high notes!
The violin is not a forgiving instrument, which is why I have given up twice
in recent years trying to play it again.
Love and hugs,
Nancy