[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan's tuning

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu May 31 01:47:25 PDT 2007

Steve wrote:
Intonation, conversation among the band guys, those are minor problems given
what was heard on that clip. Did anyone else notice that the music swung,
that Cocuzzi was brilliant, as were all of the band members? And the
bassist? Man, I'm sorry the clip cut her off.

You're right, of course.  Jonathan's improvisation was above & beyond many
tried & true musicians.  Excellent and great ideas!  I was, however, shocked
by the intonation.  Thanks for explaining how it happens, and it is now
quite understandable, albeit still very unpleasant to hear.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trombonist, who played a great solo.  However, I
was annoyed at the guys talking behind him.  If I had been watching the
band, they would have distracted me from the soloist even more.  A quick
word or nod about a planned riff is fine, but a conversation that lasts 2
solos!

I had spotted the lady bobbing her head behind Jonathan during his solo, but
until she took her solo I didn't know she was on bass.  And, what a bassist!
I, too, was disappointed when the recording ended, as I would have liked to
have heard more of her.

Jim