[Dixielandjazz] Message from John Farrell's Granddaughter

John Farrell stridepiano at btinternet.com
Thu May 31 12:01:50 PDT 2007

It is with extreme sadness that I announce the death of my grandfather, John Farrell, yesterday on May 30th 2007. Anyone who knew John will understand how remarkable he was, and the impact he had on the world of jazz music. He was a truly dedicated man and I personally would like to thank everyone who appreciated his work and kept his passion alive. He was 71 when he died, and led what can only be described as a rock and roll lifestyle. He will be greatly missed by many people, especially those with whom he shared his extraordinary talent for not only transcribing jazz, but also for playing it. He was a magnificent pianist, though at the same time he was always extremely modest, insisting “I can’t play that!”. He certainly has inspired me with his knowledge and skills, and I would like to think that in his 71 years he also inspired others. You may also be pleased to know that the letters of good will sent in the past few weeks certainly brightened his miserable stay in
 hospital, and provided much entertainment and happiness for him, so thank you once again to everyone who showed their appreciation for John. I hope he is remembered for the brilliant work he has done for jazz, and for the wonderful and gentle man that he was.

  John’s Grandaughter, Violet
  (16, yesterday)

  PS. If you wish to contact the family, or for further information, please e-mail my mum at alison at creative-team.com