[Dixielandjazz] HANKY PANKY

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 28 08:50:43 PDT 2007

All one needs to do to get a list of ' hanky Panky " songs is to go to the series of records put out in the 20's and early 30's , mostly by black artists. The Songs of Bessie and others included "Do your duty, I need a little sugar in my bowl, Do your Duty, He got me goin, Wild about that thing, Make my love come down. Ida Cox, I just want your stingaree. The lyrics containedin Kitchen Man by BS are about Hanky Panky

  The euphemisms used in describing Hanky Panky in recordings has always fascinated me.
  I could go to my record collection and bring up more from Bessie and others, the above just came to mind, such as "Cold in Hand Blues, Whoa Tillie take your time.

  Slainte

  Ed ( Empty Bed Blues) Coltrin