[Dixielandjazz] Call Him George

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Sun May 20 22:49:56 PDT 2007

An interesting link here between this immediate topic and one of a few
months ago in which Steve Barbone posed a question about jazz in Japan.

A Japanese friend and fellow DJLM member has just completed translating
Fairbairn/Tate's book into Japanese. There is a huge appreciation of the
clarinetist's work in Japan as evidenced by the large number of bands
playing in the style and the demand for the music over there. The prime
exponents of the style, at least to my ears after hearing a number of the
bands on disc, are the New Orleans Rascals of Osaka.

The leader, and clt. player has devoted years in furthering the cause not
only at home but in other countries also. His home and musical shrine is
called Mahogany Hall and even has the same address number as did the
original, 235 Basin St.The group has been playing since 1961 with minor
changes and at the same location every Sat. since 1970.

I draw this to your attention as I know that neither my friend, or Ryoichi
Kawai the leader of the Rascals will sing their own praises .

Cheers,
Glen.