[Dixielandjazz] Call Him George

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 21 23:30:48 PDT 2007

On Monday, May 21, 2007, Audrey Van Dyke wrote:
> "Call Him George."  There is a slight discrepancy in the two editions
> of the book that perhaps someone out there might be able to clear up.
> The American edition of the book has "Ann Fairbairn" as the author on
> the spine of the book, but on the copyright page, it is attributed to
> Dorothy Tait.  The English Jazz Book Club edition has the name "Jay
> Allison Stewart" on the cover as the author, but the copyright page
> again has Dorothy Tait.  Anybody know anything about the author, and
> why Ms. Tait, if that's who she was, used two different pseudonyms?

Dear Audrey,
Apologies for the delay in replying. My long-time Melbourne (Australia)
mate from our teenage jazz days, Tony Standish and his wife, have been
staying with us for 5 days, soaking up the Sydney jazz scene.
Jay Allison Stewart and Ann Fairbairn were both pseudonyms for Dorothy
Tait.
Dorothy Tait was George Lewis' occasional manager for several years
from 1954 and was, by all accounts, a real mother-hen to him.
When she met George on the band's third visit to Los Angeles she was a
52-year old former newspaper columnist. She was a year younger than
George at the time and a fan before she heard him play 'live' at the
Beverly Caverns. She hunted up work for the band and eventually fell in
love with George shortly after his wife of 20 years, Jeanette, died of
a heart attack sometime in 1954. That band broke up in 1956, and there
was talk of a rift fueled by George and Ms Tait attempting to take over
the organisation of band matters. It also seems that George was
spending quite bit of time with Ms Tait who was allegedly trying to
isolate the band from everyone else. She was certainly unpopular with
friends of the band at that time. She accompanied George Lewis on his
April 1957 trip to England and later made further tours with him to
Europe.
*The main source for the above information was Tom Bethell's fine book
'George Lewis. A Jazzman from New Orleans'. (1977. University of
California Press.)
There were (as you say) two editions of the book 'Call Him George' both
originally published (as by Jay Allison Stuart) in London. It was a
one-eyed biography, which has not weathered too well.
1961 by Peter Davies and 1963 by The Jazz Book Club (by arrangement
with Peter Davies). I have the 1963 copy.
It was also republished by Crown in New York in 1961 [by Stuart or
Fairburn?] and 1969 (as by Ann Fairbairn).
Dorothy Tait was an 'African-Amercan author who, as Ann Fairburn, wrote
two novels "Five Smooth Stones" (1968) and "That Man Cartwright" (1970).
   "Five Smooth Stones: A Novel of racial conflict about a young black
demonstrator from New Orleans who becomes a hero in the civil rights
movement. A brilliant scholar at Harvard and Oxford, he marries a white
girl and returns to the South to continue the struggle for equality.
Some strong language and violence."
    "That Man Cartwright: Novel. A successful Madison Avenue advertising
executive inherits a newspaper in California's Junipero Valley and
becomes involved in the migrant workers' struggle. He witnesses the
poverty and shabbiness of the workers' lives and resolves to use his
newspaper to correct the injustices they suffer."
Very kind regards,
Bill.