[Dixielandjazz] Liability Insurance

Dawn Lambeth dawn at usoniajazz.com
Fri May 18 12:31:44 PDT 2007

Just wanted to pop in about the insurance thing, don't mean to be a
drag, being so SERIOUS and all, but I figured my experience might be
helpful to someone else with the same questions I had.

We had to step up to this last year, and as it typical of these things,
when I got our insurance it was all very last minute and I couldn't do
the comparison shopping I had hoped to do.  We're probably paying more
than we need to, so I'd appreciate any tips from people that have
policies they are happy with.  Union and otherwise.
    I did a bit of calling around - one entertainment insurer I spoke
with said that there used to be a lot of inexpensive policies for what
she called 'baby bands', little groups like ours trying to eek out a
living.  But after that the horrific fire at the rock club in
Connecticut a few years ago, combined with all the violence in the rap
business most of the less expensive policies went away.  If you're a
strolling entertainer you can get insured very cheaply, for about $200
in the US (compared to the 1K figure Tom mentioned for a band) -
   http://www.clownsoftheus.com/insurance.htm

As a pianist I sadly don't think I qualify, maybe if I brushed up on my
accordion?

One thing I don't like about our policy is that it does not cover me as
an individual musician playing with another group, only by myself or
with my group. So were I to be sued as part of another band, I'm outta
luck.   Getting covered for that was almost as much as the original
policy.   Worth asking about that scenario if you're in the market.
    It's depressing to have to have to pay for it, but the truth is, if
you're out amongst the public and you have any assets whatsoever in your
'non music' life, it's worth think about getting it.  If an incident
happens, the issue isn't going to be whether you were at fault, but
rather, if the plaintiff's attorney thinks you have something worth
coming after.
   In our area (central coast of CA), it is becoming increasingly common
for venues to require liability insurance of all their event vendors,
one hotel told me they were requiring it of all the musicians, even the
ones who just play for practically peanuts in the bar.   I don't know if
they followed through on that.  And yes, they wanted to be listed as an
additional insured, sigh. I've heard this is even more true in nearby
urban areas, LA, etc..  They also generally require a separate policy
from whomever is holding the event (marrying couple, etc.) I
begrudgingly viewed our policy as a biz expense (and maybe even
something I could use as asset in the twisted world we live in) but I
feel for the bands who aren't doing gigs that pay enough to have it
amortize out over many (reasonably paying) gigs over the course of the year.

off the soapbox - NEXT!
Dawn

Dawn Lambeth
Pianist/vocalist