[Dixielandjazz] slash chords

Bill Allen ballen at deltapathology.com
Fri May 18 11:44:17 PDT 2007

    Sometimes the slashes can indicate or suggest a different voicing or harmony. For example, if the chord reads F/G, what you're really dealing with is a G11. Or vice versa; if given G11, try different voicings of a plain ol' F chord, knowing (or hoping) that the bass player is nailing the G tonality.

Part of deciding what to play depends on how isolated you are - if you are the only rhythym player (beside the bass), you may want to include the bass tonality. If you have other rhythym section players, or a large band playing more of the harmony, you may wish to play a sparser part including only the higher harmonies.

I was doing a session with charts that had been written by a very inept arranger. I came across a chord written

D#m/Cb.

After thinking about it, I realized he just wanted a  BMaj7 chord. Disgusted, I said, "Who wrote this %#$@!?". not knowing he was standing right behind me. He said, "I did". I smiled and said, "Pretty good %#$@!!".

              Save the whales. Collect the whole set.