[Dixielandjazz] Liability Insurance

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri May 18 12:56:50 PDT 2007

We got the same thing here about 2 years ago.  One of the places we play
occasionally sent us a demand for a mill worth of insurance.  We added $500
to our contract which they didn't send back.  I also spread the word among
the other bands here and all of a sudden they couldn't get entertainment and
things went back real fast.  Other than that one place it hasn't caught on
here in the smaller places.  They should know that they will have to pay for
it and that it will be reflected in your contract.

If it's becoming universal there then you might see it as sort of a closed
shop.  Those that can pay it (and pass it on) will close out those who are
just playing around.  It could be an advantage to include it in your
advertising if you have to have it anyway.

It's like paying taxes - no one wants to pay them but it does close out the
guys that work for almost nothing when they get a 1099 from a venue and have
to pay 15% Social security plus income tax and at least here, State tax.
It tends to close out the $50 guys.
Larry
St. Louis