[Dixielandjazz] Authentic 1920s gangster music...or not?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu May 17 13:39:51 PDT 2007

>While I know that many OKOMers want the umpteenth version of Royal
>Garden Blues or That's a Plenty, I really get tired of listening to
>them again and again ... and again!

Amen ---I like to hear tunes that aren't in the top 40 of Dixie.  I think
the Saints is just a lovely tune but I don't want to hear it on every
recording or maybe even never.

I think the thing that I really don't care for is the extended soloing that
turns a three minute tune into a 10 minute tune and then do it again on the
next tune and the next tune.  I just get tired.  For example I like Blue
Grass for about 10 minutes but no more because it's just so repetitious.
Once you have heard a tune, endless permutations of it doesn't really turn
me on.

My band is more ensemble oriented and solos, if there are any, are not over
32 bars and are usually shorter.  Some of the arrangements that I use are
written that way with four or more solos in a row.  We usually cut all but
one.  I would rather play six shorter tunes than four long ones.  I think it
keeps the audience from getting bored.  Someone mentioned 6 tune sets and if
a set is an hour or 45 minutes then that's way too long IMHO to keep tunes
going.  In a recent 2 hour concert with a short break we played 31 tunes.
That's about 15 tunes an hour or about 3-4 minutes per tune with a short
intro talk in between.  I prefer to keep things moving.
Larry
St. Louis