[Dixielandjazz] Authentic 1920s gangster music...or not?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:13:51 PDT 2007

Hello, David,
Neve mind the Tin Pan Alley detritus, but jazz bands of the twenties
played a lot of numbers that seem to have disappeared.  How many times
have you heard "Feeling no Pain," or "Tat's no Bargain?"  Yet in the
twenties they were recorded many times.  I heard them played a few
years ago in Breda - as part of a Red Nichols tribute.  But other than
that?  And how about "Freshman Hop?"  Judgin by the severa
performances by Jack Pettis - an excellent song!

While I know that many OKOMers want the umpteenth version of Royal
Garden Blues or That's a Plenty, I really get tired of listening to
them again and again ... and again!  They are so overplayed that very
few musicians can say anything original while playing them (perhaps
the late Kenny Davern, or, of those playing now, Bob Wilber, but who
else?).
Cheers