[Dixielandjazz] Authentic 1920s gangster music...or not?

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Tue May 15 21:02:43 PDT 2007

Marhaba, Sheikh.  Of course my reference to ³Tin Pan Alley detritus from the
1920s² was not a pejorative characterization of all 1920s music.  The 1920s
were the Jazz Age and produced an unbelievably rich lode of OKOM and
American Songbook standards, Gershwin, Porter, countless others.  ³Detritus²
was meant to characterize obscurantist song selections that no one has heard
of and which were justly relegated to the bottom shelf of musical history. I
understand and respect the aims of your current 1920s songbook project, but
like others who have weighed in on this issue, I see little entertainment
value in performances of E-list and F-list OKOM, however much it meets the
strict standards of authenticity upheld by the individual who took issue
with Bob Ringwald.

David Dustin