[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 53, Issue 27/The not so authentic 20s music

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at cox.net
Tue May 15 11:23:01 PDT 2007

Dear Rose,
    I was once hired for a party at Bill's Gay 90s in New York and
specifically was asked to make it a Gay '90s show with music from the
1890s -- so I did my research and discovered that RHYTHM didn't come into
music until about 1902! You can't possibly play an entire party and expect
people to have fun without having songs with rhythm! So I called back the
party planner and explained the dilemma and the more we talked, the more I
realized that what she REALLY wanted was all the old Shakey's pizza parlor
sing-a-long songs I learned as a kid at the Golden Bee honky-tonk piano
sing-a-long at the Broadmore Hotel in Coloorado Springs. So, I threw in a
couple of songs from the 1890s (She's Only A Bird In A Gilded Cage and She's
More to Be Pitied Than Censured) for "flavor" and then we had a rockin' time
singing songs from the "aughts" & "teens" - 5'2", Bill Bailey, etc.
    I think the same thing would happen if you talked to the party planner
from the Gangster party -- if you asked him/her to name some of the songs
they're looking for -- they'll name songs from movies they've seen about
gangsters regardless of the era but you can be sure that the movie
soundtrack had them in the Roaring 20s style -- which is far more important
than when the tune was written/copyrighted/charted etc.
    In all honesty, I think it would be a godsend if we could STOP
classifying music by when it was written or charted and STARTED classifying
it by style - so that it would be okay for boogie-woogie or walkin' bass to
be currently popular even if it wasn't written yesterday. I pray that
Internet Radio continues on -- for the FIRST time, you can choose radio
stations by STYLE -- from Dixieland Gumbo to Canucktuch Crooners (both are
on www.live365.com) instead of what's currently on the charts (commercial
radio).
Jeanne Brei

Jeanne Brei
Tin Pan Alley Cat Entertainment
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.jeannebrei.com
NEW! I'm on YouTube! Click here to sing John & I singing!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tinpanalleycat
EVEN NEWER! Check out my BLOG! http://jazzinwithjeanne.blogspot.com
http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Jun-28-Fri-2002/Summerlin/19044673.html