[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 53, Issue 27/The not so authentic 20s music

ALOHArose at aol.com ALOHArose at aol.com
Tue May 15 10:32:36 PDT 2007

Dear Bob,
As I said, <<Perhaps i am overreacting>> That said, I remain more than tired
of misdirection, deception and promoting anything as something it is not; in
other words, the New American Style.

In this last decade we have been inundated with deception and misinformation
and one can see that the desire to deceive has become a fundamental resource
for many.   I find that unacceptable and corrupting, and will fight it where i
find it. There is an obligation to oppose the deceptive fog and misdirection
that pervades our lives-- in product info, in advertising, on the internet and
in everyday negotiations. When I came across your mildly stated misdirection
regarding 20s songs, it really spoke to me because it concerns my true passion,
music; unfortunately, i've been particularly sensitive to this trend toward
'simplification' which is actually a cultural 'dumbing down' that levels
everything to the   generic with no distinction.

The kids entered into this thread through the back door because this is a
group that continually states a desire to attract young people to the music, and
it is hard to imagine wanting to attract young persons to anything but the
real thing; misdirection is antithetical to that [separate] goal of attracting
the young; authenticity is the key.

My comment did not address one gangsta event, kids or not, but the degree of
integrity necessary to attract all fans. Not unlike when one experiences a
truly outstanding performance...authenticity or 'rightness' is a huge part and
contagious. The idea of faking the 20s is incompatible with the concept of
attracting fans because it reduces music to the generic, and I really wanted to
underscore that.   Why not strive to do the real job of presenting real 20s
music?

I probably care about this kind of thing more than most, but regret
overstating my case in an overt response, and sincerely apologize for giving offense,
and that extends to anyone else with a preference for placid.   I'm not a big
fan of placid when significant matters are on the table.   I've seen many
brutally candid and testosterone driven responses here and wonder why the 'netique'
lesson is only pulled out for *ladies* in a snit.

Alas, Bob, for my failed attempt at a humorous chide regarding your precision
with subject lines, mentioned only because that precision regarding minor
tasks did not extending to songs, which are an important musical element (for
women). You may recall that your previous focus on the subject line was never a
problem for me; the lack of consistency just amused me, and I tried to pass
that on when I should have passed on that. Mea Culpa/Mea bad.

And I did sign my post using ALOHA!   -More bad?
ALOHA
aka Sharon Lee Rosewoman-Godwin