[Dixielandjazz] Turk's trumpet/cornet players

confit at isp.com confit at isp.com
Fri May 11 02:18:44 PDT 2007

Ted asked...

>"Some list members have known or played with Turk in days past. I have many
>of his LP's. The "trademark," if it can be called one, is a very subdued
>cornet  on all recordings, with cornet solos rather rare. Most solo work
is >done by Turk  or the reed man on soprano or clarinet.

>I have always wondered-was this by design? If so, whose?? Did Turk have  a
>ego that kept him from allowing the cornet to front the band? Or did the
>producers plan it this way.? Did the cornet remained subdued when the
band >was live? As great as the band is, it sounds out of balance on my
>recordings-I have  to listen carefully to hear the cornet parts.  Turk
>definitely dominates  things all the way through.

>Any information about this out  there??"

It might be useful to know what recordings you are referring to.    Turk
made quite a lot...

First off, let's just say Turk was a very "forceful" trombonist. He also
started on the cornet, and was very particular about how the cornetist
played in the band. There were more cornet/trumpet players that went
through that band than players on other instruments. I seem to recall more
than 20.
Turk's personal favorites were Benny Strickler (who played lead in Bob
Wills' pre-war band and subbed for Lu Watters when he joined the navy),
and Don Kinch. Neither Strickler nor Kinch were loud players, but they
were very tasty musicians who played rather sparse lead (which I think
Turk preferred).

Turk's arrangements were generally tailored for few solos. He preferred
ensemble work. And the arrangements were almost always played the same
way, with the same length solos and solo order. If you compare band
recordings from the 1950s and the 1970s, you'll find this to be pretty
much the case. Same with the band live or on record.

Also, if you're playing cornet in a band and blowing a lot of ensemble,
you probably don't really care how much solo space you get. Better to have
a chance to remove the mouthpiece from the lips for a little rest ;-)

Cheers,
Chris