[Dixielandjazz] The Grass is always Greener - Was Austin TX jaz band article

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu May 10 14:31:01 PDT 2007

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snip - about out of
town bands being preferred over locals)

> This is the grass is always greener syndrome.  I don't know why this
> happens.  I understand it with "name" people because the name sells but when
> the groups are not particularly "name" bands or singers then what's the
> deal.

Sometimes it's just connections, or politics, or bragging rights.

Some years ago, my trombone pal Pete Pepke traveled down to Miami to play
for a huge NFL super bowl party with a Dixieland group from Baltimore. The
group played for 2 hours.

The band made good money, they flew down, were put up in a first class hotel
etc., etc., etc. They were all journeymen musicians, not well known.
Probably cost about $20,000.

Pete's wife hit the nail on the head when she said: "Don't they have any
trombone players or bands in Miami?

The NFL just had a huge budget and the cachet of an "out of town band" is
what they wanted. So the event planner, got an expensive out of town band.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone