[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Drumming Show on BBC Radio Today on the Internet & More

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 24 07:27:44 PDT 2007

Greetings Folks,
Here's the press release for a great show today and which will be
available for 7 days as a Listen Again programme on the BBC web site.

Press Release

Stamp out lousy drumming with CRISP: the Campaign for Really Intelligent
and Sensitive Percussion

CAMRA started something when it took to the barricades to protest about
the lousy beer that was flooding our pubs. CRISP, the Campaign for
Really Intelligent and Sensitive Percussion, aims to do the same for
drumming. Dismayed by the rather dull and feeble slapping that passes
for drumming these days listeners to the BBC’s Gold for Grownups are
campaigning for the recognition of real drummers, people who are subtle
and powerful drivers of great bands.

Their heroes are men like Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Sonny Payne,
Shelley Manne, Sam Woodyard, Gene Krupa, Art Blakey and so on, legends
of big band and small group swing. In the fifties Louie Bellson even
made the charts with Skin Deep, a drum feature that occupied both sides
of a ten-inch 78 by Duke Ellington’s orchestra. Veteran drummer Jack
Parnell, who now lives in Southwold, recorded a version of it with his
own big band.

“There’s genuine enthusiasm for the cause,” says Paul Barnes, Gold for
Grownups presenter. “Listeners, including some who are drummers
themselves, have piled in with some pretty passionate letters and
e-mails. And it’s not just flashy drum solos that impress them; it’s the
way a great drummer can propel a band like a wonderful and finely tuned
engine.”

March to the beat of CRISP on Saturday evening, March 24 between 6.00
and 9.00 on BBC Radio Norfolk.

You can listen live between 6 - 9 PM on BBC Radio Norfolk, Suffolk,
Essex, Cambrisgeshire. The link is:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/norfolk.shtml

or to listen again from Sunday onwards:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk

End of release.

Don't forget there are articles with audio clips on Gene Krupa, Baby
Dodds, Zutty Singleton and Black Happy Goldston on my website. The link is:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/mainpages/drummers.htm
and there are a number of videos on our You Tube group including my drum
tution clips of the basics of traditional jazz drumming and some Gene
Krupa breaks. Some of the clips have had over 4,000 viewings.
The link to the videos is:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnpetters

Keep swinging & have a good weekend
--