[Dixielandjazz] Advertising ideas

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 15:02:22 PDT 2007

Hi Larry and all:

Steve of course made additional valid points and great suggestions for
advertising your bands and even as a side man service.

I preach about the Sonicbids electronic press kit because after three
years of using it I find it to be very successful for me,  just this
morning I got a great offer for a  major 12 day event  from sending it
out four months ago to a list of talent buyers for Fairs and festivals.

What I like so much about it is that it is in real time, unlike a
regular website,  and once you have it set up you can indeed edit it
live and customize your Sales pitch to the specific kind of buyer or
gig you are trying to attract, and then turn around and  do it again
for  the next scenario of marketing.   A second priceless feature is
that when I see an advertisement for a band or music services on the
internet on such sites like Craigslist etc, which I do every day I can
drop my electronic press kit in their inbox before anybody else can get
a promo package together and enclose a Cd and get it to the Post office
which will take a few days normally to get delivered.   I usually will
book  the appropriate gig if the deal and situation is right before
anybody else can get to the post office.

By maintaining several pertinent databases of talent buyers I can mass
mail them and see who raises their hands first and then book my shows
around them.  Somebody always raises their hand some where, and yes I
do often turn down more dates that I take depending  upon where they
are and what the circumstances are.

You can load up to ten photos, which would allow you to show a trio ,
Solo, full band, and guest singers available or whatever.

You can also post up to six songs to show the versatility of the music
and your act (s)  Song lists geared for specific target audiences, and
a live calendar to show booked dates and times and places, which too
can be updated instantly, and anybody coming back to your epk link even
months from now will get the current picture of what is happening.

The costs for this great tool is about $60.00 per year, and One booking
pays for it.   The best part is that you can direct it to ANYBODY with
an email address and it gets right to them in seconds.    You have a
great tool to send it out for free to as many people as you choose
whenever you want to do so.

Trust me once you get used to using it you will wonder how you ever got
along with out it.

I also have specific postal mailers that I do from time to time, but so
far they have not been very effective for me, I am however
experimenting with full color postcards created and targeted for
specific kinds of gigs and will report back on their success in the
future or not if they don't produce any desirable results.

I also post links to the epk on every music website that I find
suitable, some get referrals and some don't, the hardest thing to do is
keep track of everywhere you post it on the internet :((  almost
impossible,  damned Al Gore !

And as Brother Larry said below,  If you indeed do this business of
music for a living then it damned sure is about the Cash, which we need
to support the business of being in the music business and earning
enough money to pay our overhead, bills, support our families and pay
and support the families of the sidemen that we employ as professional
respectfully paid musicians.   Try getting your auto mechanic to fix
your car for free, or your dentist to give you a free root canal, heart
surgery, boob implants for your wife or girl friend etc. etc.

Like  it or not Money does make  the world go round.

Cheers,

Tom "Show Me The Money"  Wiggins