[Dixielandjazz] Advertising ideas

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Mar 14 12:03:52 PDT 2007

> Larry asks about advertising ideas. He mailed 85 prospects and got 2
> replies. That's a good ratio. and cheap, given the cost of about $35-$40.

lw. Got another call this morning and an e-mail  so that's 4

> Tome suggests Sonic Bids electronic bids and supplied his site as a model.
> That's also good.
>
> My 2 cents is that Direct mail is the better way to go for most "local"
> gigs
> and Sonic Bids is better for the higher profile gigs nationally or
> internationally. Why?

LW - we really don't travel much so National ads don't interest me much

> Venues like Municipal parks, are different from venues like
> bars/restaurants
> and so what they receive should be different.

LW - I am aware of that and have taken that into consideration with separate
lists.

I also have a fan list of about 600 which gets
> e-mailed at least 6 times a year and surprisingly generates wedding gigs,
> funerals etc., besides attendance at our gigs. Cost is relative cheap
> compared to profit returned.

LW - Great future project but I don't have the mailing list. or e- mail
list.  My e-mail list is about 20 names none of which have responded.  I
have been sending them stuff for about a year.  These are people who hire
bands or plan events.

> Some may detest this "hustling for gigs", but then, nothing happens in
> this
> world until somebody sells something.

LW - There is one on the list that said "money isn't everything" and that's
true and I don't expect anything when I show someone how to fly a model
airplane or get a ham radio license but those are my HOBBIES and I enjoy
them.  No one expects me to be at the flying field at a certain time and do
something but they do with music.  People all of a sudden find out what's
going on if you don't show up for a gig and get sued.  There is a local
hobby band that makes a few bucks here and there and is being sued by one of
it's members.  All of a sudden what wasn't a business suddenly is.  I have
made a significant part of my living from professional music and I don't
intend to start giving
away what people will pay me for.

> Larry, what works for me is slightly different mailers to each category on
> my prospect list. And for which band version I am trying to market to
> them.
> (trio, quartet, sextet, etc) And what type of gig, like St Patrick's Day,
> Armstrong's Birthday, Mardi Gras, etc.

LW - I'm working on it.

Every so often I will ask the same question - the guys on the list come up
with ideas and some are good for me and some aren't.  There may even be
lurkers out there that are making their way to the bank right now on
someone's idea.

I have tried mail in the past but I have developed a whole lot more graphics
and other skills since then.  Little things like a good laser printer and
the web are helping.

Thanks guys - I do appreciate the time you take
Larry
St. Louis