[Dixielandjazz] YouTube downloads

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Wed Mar 21 09:17:11 PDT 2007

"Clive Smith" <scousersmith at gmail.com> wrote on 21/03/2007 15:59:07:

> Dear all
> I need some technical help. When I open up a YouTube link that a member
has
> included in a message (.e.g John Farrell's
> link to a great piece done by Charquet & Cie March 10th - Everybody
stomp)
> more often that not the music stream conks out before the end - I think
its
> called "buffering". Whatever its called its enough to drive one to
drink.
> Hmmm, not a bad idea - make mine a pint! Is this an unavoidable glitch
or is
> there some way to defeat it? Can anyone enlighten me please?
> Cheers
> Clive Smith

As you say, it's to do with buffering. In the background, your browser is
downloading the video as fast as your internet connection will let it.

Then in the foreground, it is trying to play the video (and audio). If the
internet doesn't go fast enough to supply stuff to the foreground task,
then it runs out of anything to do and stops. But the background stuff
is till going on. So if you wait and start again, it should carry on
playing.

The reason it can't keep up, may well be outside your control. So there's
probably not much you can do. Faster broadband connections help, but
the holdup may still be somewhere else.

With YouTube, you can pause the play and let the download get ahead. If
you press the pause button, you should see the red "progress" line carry
on moving. This is the download happening in the background. If you wait
for the whole line to go red, then press play, it will play without
any stops.

Hope that helps

Andy Ling

--
This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not