[Dixielandjazz] Are we having fun yet? (was Cartoon music, Condon, Personal, Argumentation, etc.)

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Mar 12 23:45:31 PDT 2007

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Having a Master's degree and  some years of post graduate education, I am
not unfamiliar with nor disinterested in the academic side of music,
particularly jazz, or most other subjects. However, as I sometimes need to
remind my own players, and even myself, when we get worked up over
repertoire, how to present ourselves, and other "academic" issues: "Hey
guys, we're supposed to be having fun! These things are not unimportant, but
let's not kill the gig over them." Most of the time we're able to have a
good laugh at ourselves and then get on with the business of entertaining.

In my travels, or sometimes in yours, I have been privileged to meet many
DJML members, and I am delighted to say I have yet to meet one that I did
not like. (Yes, I have met Steve Barbone!). And I am about to meet a bunch
more in Hungary next weekend, and greatly looking forward to it. Our music
has produced, and continues to produce, some of the jolliest, most cheerful
and delightful characters this planet has ever witnessed in its entire
history, both players and fans. It has carried the world through wars and
all kinds of other crises, and still does so. Seems to me a good reason to
celebrate it. Maybe sometimes we're better off with Louis' classic dictum
when asked to define jazz, "If you have to ask, you don't get it." (I know,
I know, those are not the exact words; don't shoot the messenger, I'm doing
the best I can.)

Everyone may have his ideas, druthers and point of view, but in the end
we're all here because we love the music, and we love making the music for
others who love it. And that chocolate sounds like a good idea too, Mr.
Gunter. Don't forget to put some good jazz on the stereo -- uh ... if you
can figure out what it is.

Elazar Brandt
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble