[Dixielandjazz] Fletcher Henderson's "Wrappin It Up"

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Mon Mar 12 11:53:46 PST 2007

Robert Smith wrote:
> I have to admit to a predilection for 7-piece bands (and smaller). I
don't know
> why this should be. It could be due to my inability to separate the
individual
> instruments in larger bands.

Why would you want to separate out the individual instruments?  The
whole point of Fletcher Henderson's then-innovative arranging style was
the contrast of instrumental choirs.  Rather than simply soloist against
ensemble, he would write for saxophone section against brass section in
a call-and-response style.  BG did these charts with more precision and
just as much swing as Fletcher's own band at its best.

Interestingly, BG himself often said he preferred smaller horn sections
because they swung harder.  He could have had a sixteen-piece band if
he'd wanted, but he stuck with the small configuration.  Even after that
became the norm.

-- Paul Edgerton