[Dixielandjazz] Fletcher Henderson's arranging, e.g."Wrappin It Up"

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Tue Mar 13 05:35:21 PST 2007

Thanks, Paul, for your interesting explanation of big band arranging. I
can't really explain what it is that attracts me to small groups. One of my
great thrills is listening to Johnny Dodds' low register obbligato on the
Hot Seven's "That's When I'll Come Back To You". I'm glad this wasn't done
by a clarinet trio. Having said that I can quite understand that a great
many jazz enthusiasts will get their main thrill from, as you say, the
contrast of instrumental choirs. For some reason that I can neither
understand nor explain I don't get the same thrill.

I well remember that, when I was a member of The Birmingham (UK) Jazz Record
Appreciation Society in the 1950's, my avid love of the 1920's Classic Jazz
evoked the comment from several members that I would progress from this to
big band jazz, and finally to Modern Jazz. I think I was the only member who
didn't thus progress, but why I don't know. I listen to all types of jazz,
and I enjoy the Modern Jazz Quartet, Gerry Mulligan, Dave Brubeck, but these
are small groups with no instrumental choirs.

Cheers

Bob Smith