[Dixielandjazz] What we lack

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Mar 7 12:45:59 PST 2007

They are not allowed to stop you unless you are driving erratically or
have something wrong with your car. Busted rearlight is favourite, but NO
RANDOM CHECKS.  Not yet anyway.

As I said.  We had the best.

My wife and I talk about it from time to time and I have to agree, things
have changed.

The other part is the random checks.  The more blatant things have come to
an end but the police can still stop you for about anything.  When I was 16
a policeman hit me with his night stick.  I didn't even see it coming and I
was just walking down the street.  He did it because he could.  The police
can harass people still if they want they just have to be more clever.

Playing late at night I get stopped every so often.  Last year I was flying
very low doing 85+ in a 60 mph zone and got stopped by a state trooper.
There was no one on the highway at all.  I was pretty surprised when the red
lights started going off.  He asked me where I had been and I told him I was
a professional musician and had just come from a country club.  He asked me
what kind of music I played and what instrument.  Then he asked me for my
Drivers license and he did all the various checks etc.  I think he also
spotted my retired military ID card as I fished for my DLicense.  He said
"Sir you were doing pretty close to 70 but that's not why I stopped you.
You didn't signal when you changed lanes."  He then let me go.  I may be the
only person alive that a trooper has let go.  During this whole episode I
could picture myself being hauled away in handcuffs.  Fortunately I don't
drink because If I had smelled of alcohol my goose would have been cooked.
Larry
St. Louis