[Dixielandjazz] What we lack

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 6 13:53:08 PST 2007

rouble with the law if you organize one and something goes wrong.  Lots of
drugs at these things.>>

Hi Larry,

I said we had the best of times. There was no drug scene then. Mainly
because there were no pushers at the school gates. I must admit that in my
teens I had read Huxleys `Doors of Perception` and `Heaven and Hell` and if
I could have got hold of some mescalin I would have tried it. Where could
you get drugs in 1948 in England? maybe in the big cities or ports but
cetainly not in a small country town in deepest Wiltshire.

There were plenty of organisations which would run dances. The Young
Conservatives, the Labour Party, the Liberals, the Round Table, the Young
Farmers plus several church and village halls.  There was rarely any
trouble. I think our attitude to drinking was different. We certainly got
drunk, 8 or 10 pints will do that but we went out with the idea of having an
evening out. Getting drunk was a by product.  Now the idea seems to be to
get absolutely smashed as quickly as possible by mixing your drinks,
something we hardly ever did, then being sick, falling down and starting
over again.
In my time no girl would go home with a drunk boy and that tended to keep
ones head clear (ish).

We get raves. Usually takes place in a barn on an isolated farm. The farmer
takes a back hander and goes away for the weekend and is suitably horrified
when he finds out what has happenned in his absence.  The word spreads by
cell phone, the venue is often changed at the last minute in case the police
have got onto it, and there is much drinking and lots of drugs.  Luckily my
girls were nearing school leaving age when the drugs really caught on so I
missed all that trauma as well.  I should be surprised if they have not
tried it  and a bit disappointed too. I think they both had enough backbone
to give it a whirl and then reject it.

I don`t think that groups banding together to get a gig closed down would
work here. Certainly I have never heard of it, and the police don`t work in
that way either. At least I sincerely hope not. Hanging around a pub at
closing time to see if there is any drunk driving is about as far as it
goes. They are not allowed to stop you unless you are driving erratically or
have something wrong with your car. Busted rearlight is favourite, but NO
RANDOM CHECKS.  Not yet anyway.

As I said.  We had the best.

Pat