[Dixielandjazz] kids

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Mar 6 10:33:14 PST 2007

Larry wrote:
>Simply put when large numbers of kids gather more or less unsupervised you
have problems.

One of my kids was shocked when he arrived to study at Boston College (born
in Madrid), and the way the kids drank.  That binge stuff just doesn't
happen here.  Wine & beer is offered to kids.... usually wine mixed with
water is common for the youngest of kids.  Drinking is almost always while
eating something, a meal or snacks at least.  You can buy a beer in a
MacDonalds, however, the signs say you must be 18 to purchase.

So, when they get to college, drinking is no big deal.  Drugs?  Marijuana is
legal to have on yourself for your own use, so, once again the lack of rules
makes it less attractive. I don't know anyone who uses it.  We get a drift
of the odor in the clubs from time to time.

Spanish kids are basically unsupervised from early days.  They can be
running wildly through a restaurant, but almost no one pays any attention.
They hang around the bars (like a snack joint, but with booze!) with their
parents, and play on the machines in the corner or watch tv, or play soccer
on the sidewalk.  The older kids seem to take care of the younger.

Most people socialize with their extended family, so there are always
cousins of all ages around.

So, they are more at ease with all ages, and I suppose that's why they quite
happily come into a club where we are playing...mixing with older folk in
the audience, and enjoying our band (youngest member is 54...oldest is 70).

Again, it's interesting the different cultures....

Jim