[Dixielandjazz] For the Bones out there.

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 19:40:02 PST 2007

This should rile up some discussion.  I  forwarded a Teagarden YouTube
posting to a trombone player with whom I have the  opportunity to play on occasion.
He isn't on DJML but he responded with  these comments.  I wondered what your
response would be.  K.C.  Clarinet

Thanks.  I had not seen this one  before.  Obviously, it has been kicking
around cyberspace for a  while.  I have, in the CD reissues, the two Verve
recordings that JT made  in the early 60's.  They are wonderful, and they show tht
JT was still in  top form right up to the end, despite the chemical abuse to
his body.I   also hope that Verve re-issues the third and very last of JT's
LP's. I  think the writer is right on about the fallen state of the trombone.  The
 level of trombone playing in the jazz world is for the most part at a 70
year  low.  There are a few really great trombonists around, but they are people
that few have heard of, such as Herb Bruce.  None of the current  trombonists
mentioned in the article as examples of contemporary trombonists are
anywhere near the level of a Frank Rosolino or a Carl Fontana, and needless  to say,
none of them have anything approaching the emotional maturity and
musicianship of JT.  At least none that I have heard.   This situation is all the more
ironic in that classical  trombone playing is at an all time high.  There is a
wealth of truly  great symphonic trombonists who are making CD after CD of
phenomenal  recordings.  Technical excellence in trombone playing has advanced to
the  point where the jazz world can no longer use the old "trombone is a
clumsy,  awkward instrument that cannot be played in a way to keep up with keyed or
 valved instruments" argument.   Actually, that tired old argument has  not
been valid for more than 30 years, but I still hear it.  When you  listen to
any of today's big bands cut loose on a chart with  solos, you always get a sax
(usually tenor) solo, and frequently a  trumpet solo, but only VERY rarely do
you get a trombone solo (and usually  then you wish you hadn't).  Even when
you listen to CD's of today's  jazz groups, you almost never hear trombone
solos.  The reason is very  simple:  very, very few of the competent section
trombone men can solo  worth crap.  Part of the reason is that their level of
technical proficiency is not high enough to be able to translate any ideas  from
their head to the end of their bell.  And that is a  disgrace, given what has
been going on in the classical arena.   Even when listening to the Cullum band,
you will notice that the trombone takes  much, much fewer solos than the other
front line horns.  As far as I  can determine, it has always been that way.
http://www.aol.com.