[Dixielandjazz] Delayed Leningrad Dixieland Jazz Band follow-up

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Tue Mar 6 15:26:19 PST 2007

Listmates,

I've been catching up on a month's worth of DJML postings and have found
Vickye Blatherwick's inquiry about a Leningrad Dixieland JB cassette
containing recordings from the 1970s.  I have the LPs from which that
cassette was made and can report that the personnel was

         Vladimir Voronin - tp
         Anatole Chimiris - tb
         Alexander Usyskin - cl
         Boris Yershov - bjo
         Yuri Miroshnichenko - bass
         Eduard Levin - pno
         Alexander Skrypnik - dr

It's a funny thing about American jazz in the Soviet Union:  Sam Wooding's
band (including Sidney Bechet) went there in the early '20s, but then
Soviet paranoia and the Cold War cut off all contact until the U.S.
Information Agency sent them Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington in the
1950s and 1960s.

The first exposure they ever had with traditional/dixieland jazz was Kenny
Ball's Jazzmen of England in the late 1950s.  That visit sparked the
formation of several amateur dixieland bands (the ones led by Grachev and
Melkonov lasted into the 1990s) and the one and only professional dixieland
band in the Soviet Union, the Leningrad Dixieland JB.  If you'll compare
the Leningrad band's recordings from the '60s and '70s with Kenny Ball's
records from the same period, you'll discover that the Leningraders were
reproducing him note for note.  Because its music was so patently American,
the Leningrad band was always kept in the shadows:  It wasn't allowed to
travel to the West until the Gorbachev glasnost thaw of the late 1980s, and
even when I saw them in Leningrad in my student days there in 1970, they
were spending most of their time in the Siberian backwoods rather than in
the big city--an appearance in their "home town" was rare.

By and large, traditional dixieland jazz missed the Soviet Union:  They
started with Ellingtonian swing and moved quickly to bebop and modern.

Vickye sussed out the correct titles of some of the tunes on that tape; for
her benefit and possibly others', here's her list with further
amplifications in [brackets].

Hot Coronet (L.Hardin) [Cornet Chop Suey]
Gypsy Blues (J. Hodges) [Jeep's Blues]
The Entertainer (S.Joplin)
Thick Lipped Blues (J.Oliver) [Dipper Mouth Blues]
At the Jazz Orchestra's Ball (N. LaRocca) [At the Jazz Band Ball]
Moldavin Folk Melody (Traditional) [actually, Moldavian]

Ragtime (Traditional)    my note: 12th Street Rag
St. Louis Blues (B. Hendri  arr. Vi Koroleva)
Ice Cream (J. Hotins) [Joe Watkins]
I Want to go around with you   (Traditional)      my note: Just A Closer Walk
Panama (imp. on Latin-American Melody)
High Society  (traditional)
Alexander's Rag Time  (I.Berlin)

--