[Dixielandjazz] For the Bones out there.

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Mar 6 21:05:28 PST 2007

Geez is this guy all wet.

hasn't he heard of John Allred?  Or the trombonist who used to work for Jack
Sheldon in Los Angeles?  First name Andy.  Can't remember his last name.  He
is now in NY I think.

While both John and Andy play a different style than Teagarden, they are
both monsters of the trombone.

I once spent all night until dawn, sitting with Teddy Wilson at a close bar
after his gig.  The only people in the place was the owner, Teddy and his
two young musicians and me and two other musician friends.

At a certain time during the early hours, one of my friends went over to the
piano and started playing some jelly Roll Morton.  The two young musicians,
bass and drums, who had been working with Teddy that night, started putting
Morton's music down.

Teddy turned to them and said, "Listen here, if Morton hadn't of played that
music then, you would not be playing what you are playing now."

Needless to say, the two young "whipper-snappers" shut up pretty quickly.

I'm sure both John and Andy feel the same way about Teagarden.

--Bob Ringwald