[Dixielandjazz] New royalties for Internet radio

snargi at pacbell.net snargi at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 6 12:03:10 PST 2007

If I have to pay these numbers for my station, Dixieland Gumbo, it would add up to a lot of money.

  At 2007's rate of 0.0011 per song, per listener I would pay as follows.

  I average about 20 listeners at a time.
  0.0011 x 20 = $0.022 (2 cents, that's not a lot)

  With an average of 15 songs per hour.
  0.022 x 15 = $0.33 (33 cents, still not to bad)

  Now multiply by 24 for one day's total.
  0.33 x 24 = $7.92 (About the price of lunch)

  Now multiply that by an average of 30 days in a month.
  7.92 x 30 = $237.60 (O M G!)

  For one year
  237.60 x 12 = $2851.20 (That sound you just heard was me hitting the floor in a dead faint.)

  I pay Live365.com $26.95 per month to host Dixieland Gumbo. I get about $6 per month back from the total listening hours from VIP subscribers to Live365.com. Most of my listeners do not purchase the VIP subscription, they listen for free. The generous donations from some of my listeners have helped but if this Royalty decision is not appealed and reversed, I will have no choice but to shut down my station. It will be the death of all music on the Internet but Top 40 Rock, Rap and Country.

Dave Livingston
  Dixieland Gumbo Radio
  http://www.dixielandgumbo.com/

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote:
  So what's so wrong with those numbers they seem pretty much in line
with what most dixieland jazz listeners are willing to pay per hour for
Dixieland musicians. :)) But $3.00 a BEER AN HOUR IS OK. :))

It's all just a matter of priorities folks. Not even to mention how
the hell guys like Ed Metz Sr. can EVER RECOUP THE INVESTMENT HE MAKES
TO PRODUCE A CD OF HIS BANDS CALIBER. Hey Ed if you sell them for
.75 cents each you might sell enough to break even in about ten more
years. Unless the audience can find a free download site. :))

And While I am on this soap box why the Hell is his band never Playing
on the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee ?? Oh I remember now!
they are Too good so they must be too expensive. Better to bring a
band from Lenningrad. :))

Cheers,

Tom