[Dixielandjazz] TIME SIGNATURES

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Sat Jun 30 10:37:33 PDT 2007

Jim--

If your son is that scientific, I would bet you that after that question is
answered more questions will naturally arise.

A book which is NOT elementary but which is an excellent resource is Tonal
Harmony, by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne.  I purchased it at Amazon.

I can just about guarantee you that it will appeal to him on the
intellectual level....and then perhaps he can get to "feel" it from your
musically derived explanagions and from listening to examples.

It IS a textbook, so their explanations are designed to be as clear as
possible for the student.

I think really basic texts, such as "Music Theory for Dummies" or whatever,
are not likely to delve into compound time signatures.

Good luck!

Janie
janie39 at socal.rr.com <mailto:janie39 at socal.rr.com>

"A song came on that was in 12/8 time, and I tried to explain the difference
of the afterbeat
from 4/4 time, due to the triplets on each beat (subdividing 12/8 time), how
the afterbeat comes just a little later than in 4/4 time, etc."

"........my simple way of explaining this (to my microbiologist son) was
not good enough for him.  He wanted to know why this & why that.  I'm no
good whatsoever at explaining music to others, and although I got out the
pencil & paper later, I was not able to make it clear enough for him.  He
wanted the mathematical explanation.
.

Jim