[Dixielandjazz] time signatures

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Sat Jun 30 09:48:42 PDT 2007

I was at a performance last night which included several numbers by an
Adult Education "Jazz Band".  Actually a "big band" with 6 brass, 4
reeds and rhythm.  Among their numbers was Brubeck's "Take Five", a time
signature I have never understood.  I'm glad I wasn't the drummer.  I'm
with Jim, all I've ever heard were purely mathematical explanations of
time signatures, but never the "feeling" that goes with it.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA