[Dixielandjazz] Broadband internet on the cheap (Jazz related)

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 28 13:38:00 PDT 2007

Dave Livingston wrote:

This is OKOM related because some of our listmates with dial up can't listen
to some of the great jazz stations that are cropping up on the internet.

Listmates, this goes out to all our U.S. friends who are still using dial
up. If you are in an AT&T area, you can get basic broadband for $10 a month.
AT&T (formerly SBC Global) made this deal possible because an agreement with
the FCC. They don't advertise it so you have to dig into their site to find
it. I copied the link that will get you to the right page.

Go to the link,

https://swot.sbc.com/swot/promoLanding.do

and answer no (truthfully of course) to the two questions, click continue
then input your phone number and click continue. You will be offered a list
of broadband packages that includes the $10 deal.

Hope this will help some people,

==========

Dave,
There is one other consideration. Whether the folks still on dial up have
computers that can handle broadband. I suspect some may not. Until April
this year I was on dial up with BT, the UK's biggest telco and while
broadband was available in my village and the cost of subscribing was not a
problem, my faithful 'old'  Pentium 2 350Mhz Windows 98 First Edition PC
would not have coped with it and my ISP would have offered no support if I
had tried and things became screwed up.

So any folks still on dial up, DO, DO check that your computer can handle
broadband before committing yourself to a deal from any company.
~~
John D