[Dixielandjazz] Cab & "St James" (was The Re-Invented Preservation Hall Jazz Band)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 22 15:29:31 PDT 2007

> I don't THINK I ever heard a version of "St. James Infirmary" by Cab
> Calloway with a “hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho” refrain
>  - he did that on "Minnie the Moocher" and a few other related songs.

Dear Dave,
"St James Infirmary" and Cab Calloway.
*23 Dec 1930. From his fourth record date. (Brunswick).
*Also in two 1932 film shorts.
*He reprised the tune in 1941 for Okeh on 3 July 1942  and 24 July 1941
*Then again on 15 Dec 1958 for RCA Victor.
None really use the “hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho” refrain, but have his
trademark laid-back phrasing, easy enough for the PHJB to adapt to suit
their rendition, particularly the RCA, which I have on CD (74321 18524).
There is also a version on a 1957/58 LP with Eddie Barefield's orch,
but I've never had nor heard it.
Playing them now for old-times sake.
Kind regards,
Bill not just a pretty face).