[Dixielandjazz] I'm Shutting My Mouth About Gangsta Rap!

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 12:15:03 PDT 2007

I have just listened for the first time to Jelly Roll Morton's version of
"Make Me A Pallet On the Floor" on Disk 4 of Jelly Roll Morton, The  Complete
Library of Congress Recordings by Alan Lomax.  ( I was in New  Orleans in May
and made it a point to do some direct store shopping at the  Louisiana Music
Factory.)  My set does include a tiny Parental Advisory  Explicit Content
sticker.  But I'm now thinking that the rap against  gangsta rap is a product of
increased air waves and exposure rather  there being anything new under the sun.
The more my ears popped open  in surprise, the more my jaw dropped.  And I
have experience working in  incredibly earthy psychiatric settings.

I did get the set because I thought it would make me smarter about at least
one person's take of jazz culture in it's toddling days.  I think I  purchased
a bargain!  It is eight CDs plus a neat book.  I totally  enjoy Morton's
voice whether he is singing or storytelling, his unique use of  the English
language, his vamping accompaniment to his voice often while he  relates his
memories, his many tales, etc.  And of course his piano  playing.
Ginny