[Dixielandjazz] The Definition of "Head" Music

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 12:27:42 PDT 2007

I just had a question off-list that I think deserves more than my  answer.
In my off-list email I used the term "head music" in the context  of musicians
having it or not.  List mate was asking about the meaning  of the term.  I was
using the term to mean having the ability to perform  based on what's in one
noggin irrespective of whether the player  originally acquired that "head" by
listening (ear), reading notes,  practicing and integrating, creating, and/or
any combination of the above.   I know I have heard any number of musicians
use this term and did not  create the term.  What say ye, please and thanks?
Ginny