[Dixielandjazz] Where"s The Melody?

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sun Jun 17 14:24:59 PDT 2007

More and more I am thinking it is not our preferred genre that creates the
"behind the curve".  It is that so many jazz concerts still put on a  program
as though the audience sophistication was at the level it was 50 years  ago and
it just is not.  I don't know how to describe the difference  succinctly
because it is so many things about polish, professionalism not just  in the music
making but in the showmanship, the flow, the audience  interaction.  Sure glad
I got my buns out to the courtyard of a biker's bar  to see the Asylum Street
Spankers in action.  Followed that up in a  conversation with a friend whose
daughter who had taken him to a concert by The  Police at the San Francisco
Coliseum.  Our observations were very similar  about how we saw surprisingly
fine musicianship, yes, but more than that we were  watching "Performers" who
understood Show Business.  And yet, my  ticket price was $12, less than I have
paid for plenty of jazz club concerts,  etc.  Many jazz concerts I can say, the
music was terrific.  What I  often cannot add, but today's audiences expect
and can find elsewhere is, "And I  didn't take my eyes or ears from the stage
because I would miss something  delightful if I did."
Ginny

In a message dated 6/17/2007 11:36:49 A.M. Central Daylight Time,